Sunday, February 15, 2009

We Survived!

I can honestly say that the ice storm that hit us was quite stressful for me and my family. However we are so thankful for all the luxuries we have in our life......electricity being the main one! So the ice storm hit on a Monday and our power blinked off and on a few times that night, but by Tuesday morning it was GONE! and didn't come back until late Saturday night. If you aren't clear on this it was 5 days and 4 LONG nights! Yes the nights were longer than the days and colder too! However I can honestly say that we bonded as a family and were creative with our time. We played Monopoly, read books, roasted hot dogs and marshmallows in our fireplace, listened to the radio, danced, and of course complained! The hardest thing for the first 2 days and nights was keeping warm. By our 3rd night we had the luxury of having a generator that would run our heat! Still dark but we had heat! Praise God is all I could say! At that point I realized that I could actually live without lights as long as we had heat because I was so tired of being SO cold and having to get up and put wood on the fire to keep us all warm. We generated ALOT of laundry in those 5 days, between us all wearing 2 or 3 layers of clothes and having blankets and pillows everywhere I felt like I did laundry for 5 days after the power came back on! One of the funny things I noticed though is that in those 5 days Carter's vocabulary took off! I guess because we laughed, giggled, and visited so much he just soaked it all in because now he is just talking up a storm! It is so cute! So needless to say we survived, by Saturday my sanity was few and far between but we survived! All in all we survived. We have some damage to our roof, storage shed, fence, gutters, and of course our trees look crazy and broken. Our insurance adjuster came this weekend, so we should hear back from him this week. Luckily my husband is quite handy so he has already been cleaning our yard on his own and will fix most of our damage on his own. I do LOVE having a HANDY husband. One of the many things I love about him! One of the most painful things was all the food we lost, I know it's replaceable it was just hard throwing out 8 garbage bags of perfectly good food. Just thought I would share a few pics of our ice storm. The one that caused me to have a week off work that was not a week off by any means!





Trying to eat as much as we could out of the fridge and freezer! We were desperate and it made for some crazy meals!!!


Lots of clean up done and lots left to do!

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Holey Moley, that is a TON of ice!!! I am glad that you have your power back, and thaankg the Good Lord for handy hubby's!!

Unknown said...

Holy smokes...reminds me of the ice storm we had back in 1998. The devastation was horrendous. Glad you survived...but I'll bet it was tough!

Leah said...

I love all the fireplace pictures! I will never complain about us having to be without power for 7 days back in the fall, now that so many people I know had to be without it in the winter! At least it was bearable in 60 degrees, you know???

I miss you. I'm so glad that we still keep up, even if we don't get to hang out all the time. You are so precious to me! Love you lots!

Reba said...

I loved reading your synopsis of the ice storm. We were without basically four days (though we had a couple days in between where we had it then lost it again)...I can so identify with everything you said. We had great family bonding time. However, in my mind, that was NO vacation and wasn't worth missing school over. :)

Shellye McDaniel said...

OH girl! Been there and done that...I've never been so cold in all of my life...MISERY personified. Glad ya'll have thawed out :)

Jessica said...

Your fireplace lloks nice and cozy! : )