Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Surviving Surgery

Well we survived the day of surgery(almost it is 11:05pm :)). We arrived at the hospital and got checked in about 11 this morning. Jeremy's surgery didn't get underway until about 2, so as you can imagine it was a long wait. They took him back about 2 and the surgery lasted about 2 hours. The surgeon said the surgery went very well. He removed the lower section of his colon(about a foot), 2 lymph nodes, and a mass of tissue that the surgeon was unsure of what is was or why it was there. He said it was around the area of where the cancer was so it could be stemmed from that or could be inflamed tissue from where the polyp was removed. We will have to wait for the pathology report to know for certain. We are praying that we will get the pathology report by Friday, but if not it will be on Monday. After surgery Jeremy was in recovery for about 2 hours before we got to see him(long 2 hours as I am sure you can imagine). The rest of the evening has been rough because of the amount of pain he has been in. They were unable to get his pain under control until about 10pm. They put him on a new pain pump and upped his other pain meds. He is now resting very well, this is the first time he has done this since surgery. He is on a restricted diet of only ice chips, but should get to start some clear liquids tomorrow. God blessed us today with a strong and sharp medical team. I praise God for the surgeon, anesthesiologist, nurses, and assistants that have been on Jeremy's care today. God put some wonderful compassionate people on our case and that is what we have prayed for. We know that tomorrow will be a tough day, but we will take it step by step and we will get through it.
Thank for your continued prayers, phone calls, texts, facebook messages, etc. We are once again so very blessed. I know I have already said that many times, but it is emotionally overwhelming to me the love and support we have received. It is hard to believe that not even a week ago we found out about the cancer and already our family, friends, and even people we have not even met are stepping up and supporting us in every possible way we can imagine.
Thank you to Melissa for all the meals you have provided while we have all our family here. Not only meals but snacks and treats for the kids. Also a big thank to you for being my communication and taking care of all the planning I know you have already done in order to make our life a little easier for us when we get home.
Thank you to Jennifer for the bag full of my favorite goodies and magazines.
Thank you to Brandy and Ali for the doorstep full of goodies on the morning of surgery.
Thank you to Melanie(Jeremy's sister), Mike(Jeremy's brother in law), Sara(Jeremy's mom), Jim(Jeremy's stepdad), my Dad, Jannie(my stepmom), Bo, Lori and the girls(my stepbrother and his family), Daniel(our pastor), Angela(super secretary :), my Papaw, Kent Dobbs, and Dave for sitting with us today throughout the surgery. It was blessing to have you all here to support us.
Thank you to Nana(my mom) for staying at home with boys, so that I can be here every minute to take care of my husband.
I cannot say thank you enough for all the blessing bestowed upon us. We know that God is our refuge and our strength and we are trusting him as we continue through this journey together.

Continue to pray for the hands and hearts of the nurses and doctors that are taking care of Jeremy every minute of the day. Continue to pray for me to have the strength to be there for my husband through each day. Pray for Jeremy's strength and will as he begins the healing process of this surgery. Please pray for our boys who are having to deal with what is a very confusing situation in their lives. They are both handling it very well, but I know that each day will get a little harder for them, so please pray for them and our family as a whole.

Psalm 18:2 — The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

3 comments:

Sherry Valentin said...

You have blessed so many people just by being you, so I know Heavenly Father is watching over your family during this time! Please know we are here for you and will help with ANYTHING you need!

Shellye McDaniel said...

Jill, girl I had no idea! Just checking up at LP and I saw your post. I am in shock for you and your family...please know that I am praying for all of you and will add Jeremy to our prayer list at church. Never give up the faith and accept the help of those around you :)
Sending big hugs and prayers!
Shellye

ROXY'S RAMBLINGS said...

Jill, you are the inspiration to us, not the other way around. You are loved by so many and God is watching over you and your boys. The picture from fathers day would be a great one to email to tracy or I for the luminaria. We will send you a picture of the bag before it is used and then you can have it after. Have a great weekend. I wish we lived where you are so we could help too.